This project is read-only.

Any plans to update to the recent SDK 1.3 ?

Mar 31, 2016 at 10:26 AM
Any plans to update to the recent SDK 1.3 ? Any dates?
Thanks in advance for the info.
Apr 1, 2016 at 5:51 PM
Hi Airstriker,

Yes I'm working on creating an updated wrapper for the Oculus SDK version 1.3.

There does however seem to be quite a bit of changes this time, which means it's probably going to take a while to finish.
Apr 18, 2016 at 9:07 PM
Hey MortInfinie!

How is the 1.3 update going?
I was thinking about trying to do the wrapper myself but since you seem to struggle with it I get a bit discouraged.
Apr 19, 2016 at 2:32 PM
Hi Zephyrox,

So far I have made more than 200 modifications to the class that wraps the Oculus SDK API.
I started updating the unit tests that are testing each of these methods, such that I can test each of the methods provided by the Oculus SDK.

This means my current list of things that still need to be done are:
  • Update all unit tests which reference methods that still exist (Some are unchanged, others now have a different method signature).
  • Add unit tests for newly added methods and test that all of the changes work.
  • Make corrections to the class that wraps the Oculus SDK API, as I discover which of the modifications that don't work and need to be fixed.
  • Update or replace the classes that were used to wrap the unmanaged Layers, Mirror Texture and Swap Texture Set types.
  • Add the 200+ modifications to the Hmd and Wrap classes, which contain the majority of the .NET implementation wrapping the unmanaged calls.
  • Create a new or modify the existing DirectX sample project.
  • Create a new release package and update the documentation page with the newly released package.
The Oculus SDK version 1.3 contains a lot of changes, which means that I have to use a long time updating everything.
Apr 19, 2016 at 8:39 PM
Care to share the progress so far? Perhaps I can help out.
If a working wrapper doesn't show up somewhere in the next couple of weeks I will have to start writing my own.
Apr 20, 2016 at 3:27 PM
I have committed shelveset "Updated OVR class to 1.3 (Not complete)" with the current state of the wrapper, so you can look at the current progress. Please remember that it's work in progress and there are still many changes that need to be done, before it's complete.
Apr 20, 2016 at 3:39 PM
Edited Apr 20, 2016 at 3:39 PM
If you are interested in building your own wrapper, you may consider making one for OpenVR, which would then work with both Oculus Rift and the HTC Vive (As well as potential future VR headsets).

As far as I can tell, there have been far fewer changes to the OpenVR API, than there have been for the Oculus SDK, which means that an OpenVR wrapper would likely require less work to maintain.
Apr 22, 2016 at 6:33 PM
A new OculusWrap 2.3.0.0 release is now available for download, based on the Oculus SDK version 1.3.0.0.

My next step will be to create a new version for the Oculus SDK version 1.3.2, which was just released.
I'm hoping that the changes to that release will be small enough so that a major rewrite of OculusWrap won't be needed.
Marked as answer by MortInfinite on 4/22/2016 at 10:57 AM
Apr 22, 2016 at 6:56 PM
Well that was a lot easier than I expected.

The 1.3.2 release basically consisted of a few more added error codes, which means that I didn't have to change more than a few lines of code to update OculusWrap to match it.

The new 2.3.2.0 release is now available for download, based on the Oculus SDK version 1.3.2.0.
Apr 22, 2016 at 8:47 PM
Wow that's great!!
I will try it out.
Apr 25, 2016 at 8:51 PM
So fast! As usuall ;) Thanks a lot m8! I will start the port of OpenGL (OpenTK) demo in a few days. I will let you know when it's finished.